The real-life adventures of Sharkey and other triops, as recorded from my windowsill at Crayola


4.15.2005

Batch 2: Day 24 ~ R.I.P. Sharkey

Friday afternoon, and it's curtains for Sharkey. I noticed his water was low, and it was pretty toasty in the windowsill, so I changed 50% of his water with tap water from the office. He seemed to be enjoying his newly deep water, and was doing the celebrated triops flip-and-eat.

Later in the day I noticed he was very sluggish, and his tail seemed very stiff and stuck in a slightly upward-turned position. When he began flipping over on his back and was unable to right himself immediately, I knew the dreaded shrimp-reaper was hiding in the sand.

Sharkey's last stand, and a commemorative movie clip:
        

Pondering: did Sharkey die of old age, or did it have something to do with the tap water at the office?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

had to be the water

Meech said...

I guess I'm a terrible parent!
(-_-)

~M

Anonymous said...

I think it was becase of how you treated sharky

Meech said...

LOL ~ I treated Sharkey like a king!!
Maybe he was just embarrassed by the silly movie clips…
~M

Anonymous said...

Though this should be a said affair, I can't help but giggle. I think it's the music or something. Excuse me, but LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Long live Sharkey! We have our first Triop batch, and we will name one Sharkey. My daughter will keep you posted on how well he gets on ... or if the shrimp-reaper comes to town!

Anonymous said...

I just got the triops from a school feild trip with my freind. I got them for my brother. Needless to say, I didn't know that they ate each other. EEWWWWWWW! Now, I am defenitally regretting getting them for my brother as a present. I just have one question though.

Meech said...

Oh no! Yeah, they are little cannibals.